2019 Call for Faculty Proposals
We are excited to invite faculty project proposals for the 2019 Undergraduate Research Summer Institute (URSI) program. Proposals are due by 5 pm on Friday, January 25, 2019. The 2019 URSI summer research program will run for 10 weeks for students and faculty from Wednesday, May 29 to Friday, August 2, at Vassar College.
During the URSI program, faculty members mentor student URSI Fellows, selected by individual faculty. Successful projects engage the faculty mentor in an instructional and supervisory role, both for the duration of the summer project and in preparation for the URSI Symposium held during the academic year. Faculty are expected to meet regularly with their URSI fellow(s) during the summer. Projects must involve significant student participation and exposure to research methods of the discipline (i.e., not merely photocopying, word-processing, or filing) with the intension of creating a sense of ownership of the project by the student. URSI proposals can be submitted in collaboration with colleagues to encourage shared mentoring and scholarly pursuits. Faculty members are welcome and encouraged to contact Jennifer Kennell, the program director, to discuss possible project ideas.
Project selection will be based on the following criteria:
- Faculty participants must be continuing members of the Vassar faculty (i.e., under contract for the following academic year).
- Preference may be given to tenured or tenure-track faculty members.
- Preference may be given to faculty members who did not participate in the URSI Program in the previous year.
- Faculty: $1,100 split between the June and July paychecks
- Students: $4,200, from which student pays for room and board. If the budget allows, URSI may be able to fund more than one student fellow per faculty mentor.
- Research Supplies: up to $500 per project, regardless of the number of students being mentored. These funds MUST be spent by October 1, 2019 with no exception.
Throughout the summer, URSI Fellows will participate in required weekly lunches; faculty mentors are expected to allow time for their URSI fellow(s) to attend these events. Faculty are also expected to ensure that their URSI fellow(s) receives all safety training necessary for their proposed project. Finally, faculty are expected to advise their students on the requirements for URSI and the URSI Symposium. All student URSI fellows must serve as an author or co-author of an URSI abstract (due at the end of the summer) and of an URSI Symposium poster. URSI fellows who are on campus during the Fall are required to present or co-present their poster during the Symposium on Wednesday, September 25th.
Submit your application no later than 5pm, Friday, January 25th, 2019
You will have the option to “save and continue” your application by clicking the button at the bottom of the application. This will allow you to complete and revise your application in more than one sitting. Just make sure you hit the “submit” button once you are ready! After submitting the form, you will receive an email confirmation. If you do not receive an automated email confirmation, then your submission has not been received and you should submit it again.